Click Here to view this article as a PDF.
Author: Joel Kristenson
Last Updated: 2016-04-27
This article is for internal use by Trail Blazer support techs. This article shows how to configure a PC so that the Java and Windows versions match in order to file/run FEC reports for federal campaigns/PACs.
Tip: Since this is an advanced task please call our live support for assistance if this is something you need to do. It’s also very rare that this problem will come up but it does from time-to-time.
Taken directly from one of our engineer’s emails with a customer experiencing this issue:
We had a support issue last week for the FEC filing tools trying to launch Java that caused an error message. The issue was resolved by completely uninstalling Java from the PC and reinstalling it. This seemed easy except that the PC was 64bit and they already previously had a 32bit version of Java. This lead to two problem. 1. Even if I uninstalled and reinstalled the 64bit Java, the 32bit version was still on the PC and Java 32 was not in the add/remove programs. This required us to use the suggested fix below as Trail Blazer was still referencing the wrong version of Java.
Note: Trail Blazer requires the OS 32/64bit and Java 32/64bit versions to match. Windows 64 bit machines should only have 64bit java but not both.
URL of suggested Fix:
“Make sure you remove any
javaws.exe from your
Windows\System32 folder and if you have an x64 system (Win 7 64 bits) also do the same under
Steps to Resolve
1. Uninstall ALL java versions.
2. Removed all left over references of Java (see fix)
3. Install 64bit version of Java for Windows 10 64bit
4. Open Trail Blazer and test FEC tools.
Article: Best Practices – FEC Reporting
Article: Uploading your FEC Reporting – Error :Reason: null
Article: Creating and Filing Your First FEC Report
Article: Troubleshooting Articles
3rd Party Article: Stack Overflow with Suggested Fix
Trail Blazer Live Support
* As a policy we require that you have taken our intro training class before calling or emailing our live support team.
Click here to view our calendar for upcoming classes and events. Feel free to sign up other members on your team for the same training.
* After registering you’ll receive a confirmation email with the instructions for how to log into the GoToMeeting session where we host our live interactive trainings.
* This service is included in your contract.