Click Here to view this article as a PDF.
Author: Kristenson, Joel
Last Updated: 2016-10-17
There are two ways you can create your own relationship types; either from within a contact’s record card, or from the Relationships list. This article walks through both.
This feature was built in 2016 after an organization had needs for many more types than our system defaults provided—it used to require each new type was manually created by a support tech.
Tip: Learn more about the relationship management feature by reading this help article. It covers things such like searching with relationships, for instance, pulling a list of a business and all of its employees.
Steps – From Within A Contact Record Card
1) Search for any contact in your database and open their record.
2) Navigate to the Relation tab and click [+ New].
3) Search for and select the contact you want to add a relationship for or click [+ New] if they aren’t in your database yet.
4) To add your own relationship type click the little green [+] button.
5) Select the Gender from both Contact 1 and Contact 2 (it can be either if you want). Create a description for the relationship and click [Save]. My example is below where I created a relationship for assistant and boss.
6) The new option will now display in the drop-down for all database users.
Steps – From The Relationships List
1) Navigate to the Relationships list under the Application Menu. In my example I also sorted from high to low on the ID column to see the most recent ones at the top.
2) Click the [+ New] button on the Search tool strip.
3) Create the new relationship type and click [Save]. My example is below.
4) Click [Search] to refresh the data in the grid. In my example I now have 113 relationship types.
The related resources below link to a variety of similar articles and videos regarding relationship and household management.
Article: Linking Records through Relationships, Querying with Relationships, and How to Delete a Relationship
Article: Delete a Relationship between Contact Records
Article: Splitting ‘Couples’ into Separate Records En Masse using the Built-In Utility
Article: How to Split Contact Record into a Duplicate Contact Record for Householding a Couple
Article: Managing Households – Creating, Deleting and Re-Creating
Article: Household Export
Video: Households – Delete and Recreate
Video: Households – Drag n Drop
Video: Households – Combine More Than 5 Members
Trail Blazer Live Support
* As a policy we require that you have taken our intro training class before calling or emailing our live support team.
Click here to view our calendar for upcoming classes and events. Feel free to sign up other members on your team for the same training.
* After registering you’ll receive a confirmation email with the instructions for how to log into the GoToMeeting session where we host our live interactive trainings.
* This service is included in your contract.