Click Here to view this article as a PDF.
Author: Joel Kristenson
Last Updated: 2014-12-05
When you’re first getting started with Trail Blazer you may want to send us your contribution records which have been stored in QuickBooks.
This article provides links to 3rd party resources. We do not provide support for QuickBooks so if you need assistance going through the steps you should contact their support department.
We will however, evaluate your spreadsheet for you, and let you know if further cleanup is required per our data conversion policy.
Tip: Call customer support at QuickBooks for assistance on using their software tools:
Steps for the Installed Version of QuickBooks
Reports > Sales > By Customer Detail
Customize the report to include these columns:
Total by Year to remove totals by customer (the default).
Memorize the report and provide a meaningful name:
Adjust the date range as appropriate.
Export the results to a new worksheet in Excel.
The screens above will look a little different amongst the various version of QB, but in general, the process is the same.
Steps to Export Donations from the QuickBooks Online App
These instructions were copied from the QuickBooks online help center, as of the time this kb was written:
Export data to Excel
You can export transactions and balances to a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet:
1. Create a report that includes the transactions to export.
2. Customize the report to include the desired date range and columns.
3. Export the report to Excel.How?
Which reports give me what I want?
If you want...
Try these reports
All your transactions, with all of their detail.
· Transaction Detail by Account (Try a smaller date range than All Dates to see if you want this report.)
· Transaction List with Splits
· Balance Sheet
· Profit and Loss
· Customer Balance Summary
· Vendor Balance Summary
· Sales by Product/Service Summary
Customer and vendor information
· Customer Contact List
· Vendor Contact List
Products and services list
You can export your Products and Services list to a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet from the Product/Service List report, or directly from the Products and Services List page. How?
If you export a report to Microsoft Excel, it can give you more control over the display.
To export a report or list to Microsoft Excel:
1. Open the report you want to export.
2. Click Excel.
3. Open the file in Excel and make any changes you want.
The changes you make apply to the Excel version of the report and don't affect the report in QuickBooks.
Note:During export, time is converted to decimals. If you export a report with time values (hours and minutes), they are converted to decimals in Microsoft Excel. For example, 1:30 becomes 1.5.
Need further assistance? Here’s the QuickBooks online live support info:
Trail Blazer Video: Journal Entry in QuickBooks of Trail Blazer Contributions
Trail Blazer Video: Importing Contributions
Trail Blazer Video: Reporting 102 – Quick Reports and Export
Trail Blazer Article: Importing Contributions
Trail Blazer Article: How to Upload Data to Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer Spreadsheet: ProperDataStructure_Nonprofit_Contributions.xls
3rd Party Resource (Tool): QuickBooks Nonprofit Accounting Software
3rd Party Resource (Intuit Article): About exporting data to an Excel or CSV file
3rd Party Resource (Manual): QuickBooks 2014: The Missing Manual
Trail Blazer Support
* As a policy we require that you have taken our intro training class before calling or emailing our live support team. Click here to view our calendar for upcoming classes and events feel free to sign up other members on your team for the same training.
* After registering you’ll receive a confirmation email with the instructions for how to log into the GoToMeeting session where we host our live interactive trainings.
* This service is included in your contract.