Customers should change the sa password to a non-blank one with this procedure:
- Change the password of the sa account used by the Microsoft Desktop Engine (MSDE):
- Go to Start > Search > For Files or Folders to locate the osql.exe file on the Trail Blazer Server. (This assumes that MSDE is installed, because the osql.exe file comes from MSDE.)
- Open a DOS window and navigate to the location of osql.exe.
- 1. Issue the osql –E command and press Enter. The prompt changes to >.
2. Issue the osql –U sa –P command and press Enter. The prompt changes to >.
- Issue the sp_password NULL, ‘newpassword’, ‘sa’ command. Replace the variable newpassword with your desired value. Press Enter.
Note: You must have the single quotes around newpassword and sa.
- Issue the go command and press Enter. The system returns the message, “Password changed.”
- Issue the exit command and press Enter.
In the DOS window, the complete sequence resembles this example, in which the password is changed from blank to "abc123":
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn>osql -U sa -P
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn>osql -E
1> sp_password NULL, 'abc123', 'sa'
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn
Change MSDE Mixed mode Authentication
Alternatively, you may be able to change the authentication mode in the registry. Example below is for a full SQL Server 2000 installation.
0 = SQL Authentication
1 = NT Authentication
2 = Both SQL and NT Authentication allowed